I recently listened to this lecture series again, and I liked it more the second time around than the first. The professor is excellent in his presentation. I love the historical approach that he takes for building up his ideas. I also loved his development of his ideas around the concept of the God vs. The Earth Giants.
I often say a lectures series, or a book, is awsome if you get one great idea, or concept from it. Well the great idea that I got from this series is how modern science seems to be built around a logical fallacy called Affirming the Consequent. The first time I listened to the series I went back and listened to the lecture that explains this idea 3 times because I found the idea so astounding. I also really appreciated how he points out that for many years technology drove science. The statement was that no one would mistake the Wright brothers for scientists was marvelous. Yet they figured out how to make a flying machine, then the scientists helped to make it better.
I highly recommend this series. I also highly recommend it if you're considering the Philosophy of Science series because this one is much more accessible and lays the ground work for what is cover in that series.
No comments:
Post a Comment